Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by basher View Post
    I do think the 'goofy-foot-versus-regular' idea is a bit over-rated.
    That'll be because you've never really pushed yourself to the limit in any competitive sport, if you had you'd know that in some sports tricks are marked higher if you're riding 'fakie' and so it should be in windsurfing, but it's not because it's run by old dodderers like you that have no experience in other sports at a high level.

Quote Originally Posted by Chudinpoole View Post
    Thanks, I am regular , I'll try the balance board. Jumping on the way back in is worth a try but difficult because the waves aren't usually rampy or peaky like they are on the way out .
    I am off to gran Canaria in July so got to sort something !
    Well that's good news then, so with just a little effort and perhaps a week spent somewhere jumping on port you'll spot suddenly how much easier it's becoming. It came to a point with me after some years on starboard and doing most of the stuff of the period and hitting a plateau, a few weeks spent at Port tack venues had me doing things I could never land on starboard, so get out there and punch it.

Quote Originally Posted by Graemef View Post
    That'll be because you've never really pushed yourself to the limit in any competitive sport, if you had you'd know that in some sports tricks are marked higher if you're riding 'fakie' and so it should be in windsurfing, but it's not because it's run by old dodderers like you that have no experience in other sports at a high level.
    Haha, as an ex world champion I do know a thing or two about sports, including our own.
    And we windsurfers don’t score freestyle or wave sailing according to which tack we’re on or according to whether we are left or right handed.
    This is because we know that our top sailors are pretty good on both tacks - and you just don’t hear the top guys talking about being goofy or regular footed.

Instead, they may talk about their preferred tack and that's entirely down to the location where they first learnt to sail.

For the younger competitors and those those who started competing all over the place at an early age, it makes no difference and you often find they have no preferred tack.

In surfing people don’t change their lead foot on the board, so they talk about the problems of surfing their backhand etc. Even that doesn’t stop the same guys winning at left or right wave breaks.
    A good footballer can also score with either foot.

So we know that practice and training overcomes these over-rated mental obstacles. The goofy foot argument is usually just an cop out. Like a forged parental excuse letter on sports day.
    Last edited by basher; 3rd May 2018 at 01:07 AM.
    Now back in the UK.