Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Cost per session?

Does anybody think about the costs of windsurfing per session nowadays? And has your thinking changed?

I used to think about my windsurfing sessions as being almost free, because the wind is free, and I get a lot of time on my gear. But that seems to have changed over the years.

The gear is now more expensive and I have more of it, so the costs per session have gone up in terms of the kit investment.

Then there's the day to day costs of getting to the beach – for me that's petrol/diesel in the van, but I'm lucky to live on the coast.

The other cost that has gone up is parking charges at the beach and we're on a 1 per hour or more nowadays. The 'west Hove' car park we all started using used to have free periods but now it's 2.50 for four hours, and the local cafe drinks costs have also gone up.

You might also windsurf via a sailing club or on a lake with launch fees – have these gone up?

I'm also aware that there was a time when I might go away for the weekend, on a surfari to find better windsurfing conditions. Nowadays those trips seem to cost so much more – with fuel costs, eating out, parking charges, and accommodation where you can't sleep in the van. It's easy to blow 200 or even 300 on a weekend.

If you were to do an event like slalom racing then the costs soar further – with extra kit needed and entry fees and necessary association membership and insurance costs.

Have I just got poorer or do others think twice too?

Also, if like many in the UK, you have recently had six months with little windsurfing, then how does that make you feel about the costs per session?

This is just a simple thread for people to talk about these issues.
    Last edited by basher; 2nd May 2018 at 12:02 PM.
    Now back in the UK.

40 48'N 14 26'E -Western Med - West South Atlantic
    if you have to think how much it costs, you can't afford it. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by Navegante View Post
    if you have to think how much it costs, you can't afford it. Period.

I find life is a bit more complex than that.

There are at least three views on spending:

1) I'll do what I like thanks because I have loads of money.
    2) We live day to day, making sure first that we have food on the table.
    3) What can – or should – we spend our spare cash on?

I'm guessing most windsurfers fall in category 3.
    Now back in the UK.

...But ok let's see

Van (owning)
    Van Insurance
    Van Maintenance
    Fuel

Boards Nr
    Sails Nr.
    Fins
    Masts
    Extensions
    Booms
    Wetsuits
    Harness
    Eywear
    Sun lotion
    Misc

Air Travel
    Lodging
    Car rental
    Parking
    Tolls
    Food

Gear Rental
    Insurance

Total

Divide per amount of sessions you have in a determined period of interest.

Quote Originally Posted by basher View Post
    because the wind is free,
    But in recent months there has been an almost zero weekend, daylight hours supply. Therefore cost per 2018 session has been ∞.
    Eeeh 'tis grim dahn Sarf.

Quote Originally Posted by basher View Post
    I find life is a bit more complex than that.

There are at least three views on spending:

1) I'll do what I like thanks because I have loads of money.
    2) We live day to day, making sure first that we have food on the table.
    3) What can – or should – we spend our spare cash on?

I'm guessing most windsurfers fall in category 3.
    You will find that when you add it all up (like that list that i roughly put together)

you better be in the number one category, not because you have loads of money but simply because you can afford it.

Otherwise you will be soiling yourself at the figures you come up with per session.

I suppose the other cost of windsurfing is the time it takes to learn to do it.

You can teach yourself but most of us have lessons at some point and will have to hire gear too.

However, once you have become good – or at least self sufficient – then the cheapest way to go windsurfing is to own limited gear which you buy second hand.
    If you can then walk your gear to the water without a car or van, then you won't pay parking charges either.

So the cost per session is then the total outlay for the second hand gear and a wetsuit, divided by the number of times you use it. The longer you can keep the same gear going, the cheaper each session costs.
    Now back in the UK.