Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    40 48'N 14 26'E -Western Med - West South Atlantic
    Quote Originally Posted by basher View Post
    I suppose the other cost of windsurfing is the time it takes to learn to do it.

You can teach yourself but most of us have lessons at some point and will have to hire gear too.

However, once you have become good – or at least self sufficient – then the cheapest way to go windsurfing is to own limited gear which you buy second hand.
    If you can then walk your gear to the water without a car or van, then you won't pay parking charges either.

So the cost per session is then the total outlay for the second hand gear and a wetsuit, divided by the number of times you use it. The longer you can keep the same gear going, the cheaper each session costs.
    This is not realistic Basher, it would be ideal but this is possibly the very minute percentage of the windsurfing population.

If you don't own a transport because you moved to a place where you are near the water for the purpose of windsurfing then at least the living cost of doing that needs to be partially calculated (against the cost of living and real estate away from the beach, just because you made the investment of being in that location to be able to windsurf)

I know people who cycle to the beach with their windsurf kit on a trailer attached to the bike.

Where I live, I also see people walking past my house with their SUPs, on their way to the beach here.

So the point is, that you can keep down the cost of water sports if you buy second hand gear and live near an accessible stretch of water.
    I guess windsurfing, per session, will never be as cheap as say surfing or SUPing or kayaking.

On topic, the cheapest way to windsurf would be to become a windsurf instructor. You then get access to free gear or at least you get first dibs at buying up the second hand stuff.
    The downside to being a windsurf instructor is you often have to teach on the windy days you might want to sail yourself.
    Now back in the UK.

nice house with horses, cats dogs, and bride. USA
    Quote Originally Posted by Navegante View Post
    if you have to think how much it costs, you can't afford it. Period.
    what he said, if cost is a factor take up bowling

K4 Fins 4Boards TRI-sails Sailrepair

I suppose the worst 'cost per session' would be on a trip somewhere.

If you decided to go to Maui on a whim, and then bought a new wave board and sails to take with you, that could turn out to be one expensive trip.

There's the gear costs, then the flight price, and no doubt you'd incur some huge excess baggage charge.
    Then you might hire a car and stay somewhere nice like a house rental in Sugar Cove.
    Then you might drive to Ho'okipa and, with little wind, you wobble out on your board because the waves look nice. But then you trash your board and rig on the rocks.

You then drown your sorrows with a nice meal at Mama's Fish House.

I think we're talking 3-4K here*.

*If anyone is prepared to give me 4K, I'm prepared to test this and to get back to you with photos.
    Actually, if a new board is 2K then I might need a bit more than the 4K total.
    Last edited by basher; 2nd May 2018 at 01:39 PM.
    Now back in the UK.

nice house with horses, cats dogs, and bride. USA
    Mamas fish house is pricy , Paia fish market is awesome .

I’m prepared to give you $4.00 CDN if you cease and desist

K4 Fins 4Boards TRI-sails Sailrepair

40 48'N 14 26'E -Western Med - West South Atlantic
    Quote Originally Posted by basher View Post

On topic, the cheapest way to windsurf would be to become a windsurf instructor. You then get access to free gear or at least you get first dibs at buying up the second hand stuff.
    The downside to being a windsurf instructor is you often have to teach on the windy days you might want to sail yourself.
    This is not being on topic, sorry. You are talking about employment.
    It again applies to a minority that eventually, by the way, will need to move on to better earning activities if the want to progress in life to be able to afford carrying on windsurfing.

The best thing anyone can do is get the best paying job they can perform (either as an employee or as self employment) to have enough income that you can relatively worries free buy gear and travel to do windsurfing.

Even if you think that being an instructor or a Windsurfing Centre staff you get your windsurfing for free, given the pittance these centres pay you will likely have other costs to sustain this. Either at the time of later in life.

So i would suggest that we stay away from all these lifestyle, young person alternative seasonal jobs and focus on the real world of the large majority of grown ups, whatever their age. Meaning a person that has to have a job, pay rent or mortgage, take holidays and have week ends available, have a partner or and children. The usual things in life.

I think this is the profile of the majority of posters in this forum these days.

The topic is 'cost per session'.
    Now back in the UK.