Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    40 48'N 14 26'E -Western Med - West South Atlantic
    Quote Originally Posted by basher View Post
    I suppose the worst 'cost per session' would be on a trip somewhere.

If you decided to go to Maui on a whim, and then bought a new wave board and sails to take with you, that could turn out to be one expensive trip.

There's the gear costs, then the flight price, and no doubt you'd incur some huge excess baggage charge.
    Then you might hire a car and stay somewhere nice like a house rental in Sugar Cove.
    Then you might drive to Ho'okipa and, with little wind, you wobble out on your board because the waves look nice. But then you trash your board and rig on the rocks.

You then drown your sorrows with a nice meal at Mama's Fish House.

I think we're talking £3-4K here*.

*If anyone is prepared to give me £4K, I'm prepared to test this and to get back to you with photos.
    Actually, if a new board is £2K then I might need a bit more than the £4K total.
    There you go!
    You got a free cost per session, DREAMING!!

PS: Get that little list i put up there fill in the appropriate items and divide per number of sessions in a year, just to take a period let's say June to June.

that is it other than that you can keep on guessing.

Quote Originally Posted by basher View Post
    I suppose the worst 'cost per session' would be on a trip somewhere.

If you decided to go to Maui on a whim, and then bought a new wave board and sails to take with you, that could turn out to be one expensive trip.

There's the gear costs, then the flight price, and no doubt you'd incur some huge excess baggage charge.
    Then you might hire a car and stay somewhere nice like a house rental in Sugar Cove.
    Then you might drive to Ho'okipa and, with little wind, you wobble out on your board because the waves look nice. But then you trash your board and rig on the rocks.

You then drown your sorrows with a nice meal at Mama's Fish House.

I think we're talking £3-4K here*.

*If anyone is prepared to give me £4K, I'm prepared to test this and to get back to you with photos.
    Actually, if a new board is £2K then I might need a bit more than the £4K total.
    Living is expensive...there is a way out..but have you seen price of funerals !
    No pockets in shrouds...get it spent..

And if you think windsurfing is expensive look at price of wakeboard boats,how much fuel they go through, insurance, servicing, repairs, club fees, storage, comp fees, travelling..if you worked price out per session nobody in their right mind would take part...
    Hang on a minute...err I did...and do...
    Last edited by Alphie; 2nd May 2018 at 02:19 PM.

Yes, I routinely do this with all my sporting interests.

its the only way to keep on top of it all and prioritise the best and most rewarding bang for buck. This means you give up stuff that has a low feel good per £ factor... hence why I bought a middle of the road FSW rather than a dinghy, longboard and smaller FSW if the budget was being provided by Camelot.
    hostis humani generis

Quote Originally Posted by Alphie View Post
    And if you think windsurfing is expensive look at price of wakeboard boats,how much fuel they go through, insurance, servicing, repairs, club fees, storage, comp fees, travelling..if you worked price out per session nobody in their right mind would take part...
    I briefly considered having a go at that until I saw the costs. Bonkers.

Excellent thread, it may seem nerdy to work it out but in the end the outcome does matter to most. In the end what counts is FOI. Fun On Investment.

Another thing to consider is damaged gear, the cost of repairs, loss of value due to repairs and missed sessions because of it. Or not having as much fun due to having to be carefull with your gear.

I worked 6 months as a windsurf teacher at Flag Beach when I moved to Fuerteventura in 1993 but due to having to work long hours and no time to go to other spots, I missed 80% of the wave sailing which was very frustrating so I quit as soon as I could. Being a windsurf teacher is the wrong job if you want to windsurf. Making boards and sails is much better. They don“t care if they“re made when it is dark. Plus you have the excuse to need to go "testing".
    Bouke
    Witchcraft Windsurfing Fuerteventura

Weekend Warrior alert! - I have always loved windsurfing and have never managed to get out as much as i have ever wanted to. As such i talk about windsurfing more than i do it, and happy to spend on toys that i know i will get very little use compared to someone who lives by the coast.
    I definitely cant justify new kit based on my usage, but buying nearly new has saved me a fortune. I would say i have £4k worth of kit that would have cost 3 times that amount 12/24 months ago.. I guess when i can afford kit i will buy it, and then view it as a sunk cost. (much like most of the time i sail!) I think if i was to put a price on it though i guess it would be about £50 a session - just on kit! (replace every 8 years, 10 sessions a year max)
    Which i guess in this day an age doesnt seem to bad, compared to green fees for a round of golf, or tickets to a football match?
    Where i did start thinking was about the petrol cost - at £1.30/l for diesel - and the coast being 1hr 20 away it does make you think if spending £50 on petrol on top of that is worth the trip for iffy wind! As the Volvo is a family car i dont count the cost for it, as this feels like a sunk cost too.
    Currently on Simmer Blacktips, Simmer Frugal 77, Fanatic Stubby 88, JP xcite ride 120 and AHD Summerboard windsup.

I used to spend around 4K per year on sails and board upgrades - essentially with two quivers- one for inland and one for coastal sailing. it was a complete waste of money, usually chasing lower wind range windsurfing kit for big guys trying my damndest to make the sport work as a planing only discipline.

now I don’t bother rigging up for sub 15 knot breeze - I get for more sessions on a paddleboard as a result, and that thing has already broken even compared to rental costs in less than one year of ownership.
    hostis humani generis