New FSW sail bigger?

This comes from the perspective of a light weight sailor (70Kg) but I am developing the impression that new free-style-wave sail bigger than older style ones.

• First case. Fanatic Stubby 85, 57.5 width (2017), 57.5 width. Demoed, two days. It felt very big. Sure it carried in light air, but no way I was going to use it in powered up 4.3.
    • Second case. RRD 84, 58 width (2018). Own. More agile than the Fanatic it still felt bigger than my 2008 RRD 85. The big surprise was the amount of sail it can carry. It is completely comfortable not only with a 5.8 but also with a 6.5 Point-7 ACX (!). 5.8/6.5 I used with 25 fin with 10 sides. 2008 was not happy with 5.8-6.0.
    • Third case. Starboard 81, 57.5 width (2017). Own. A classic shape. Just a lovely board that feels perfectly at ease with 4.0-5.0.

Rational:

• Fanatic: draw the board to close in a classic fashion instead of having the cut out front and back (easy to do with Shape3D) and you end up with a 245x57.5 and 95 L or so. This might be the reason for the perceived bulkiness of the board: it is a big board (circa 1990) with cut outs. Strangely enough this does not seem to translate in higher sail carrying capacity.
    • RRD: the volume distribution. with much of it going into the nose area (the "Cotan"), might explain why it can carry so much sail. It certainly makes for a supremely confidence inspiring board. Charging in heavy chop with a 6.5 with no fear. Taken together with a narrow tail it makes for a very interesting set up for fast B&J in medium/light conditions.
    • Starboard: nothing unexpected. It feels floatier than 10-12 years past boards (because of the slight extra width) but this is not new.

So ... this seem to indicate that Stubby or Cotans, sail bigger than classic boards of identical volume ... which, when you think about, seems kind of obvious. What da-ya-think?
    Last edited by duzzi; 5th May 2018 at 07:06 PM.

I agree, and disagree all at the same time
    I have a fanatic freewave stb 105. It sails quite big, as in it planes very early for its size. It feels efficient and "slippery" through the water, the overriding characteristic for me when using it in its lower wind range is that you can be in the straps and planning at a far lower speed than a thinner tailed board of a similar volume. This stops all that infuriating moving backwards and forwards to keep the board going.
    At the other end of its range it seems to be comfortable well overpowered in quite a nasty sea state. I think this is due to the volume being under your feet instead of in front of you and the parallel outline happily cutting through the chop. For me its upper limit seems to be when the quite thick rails become difficult to bury in to the turn.
    I find this board ( and probably others of its style ) to have a huge useable range.
    With boards costing what they do, this is where I think development needs to go. less kit for any given range of conditions.
    As surfers have realised over the last ten years volume is your friend as long as the board can turn at speed.

I too have the Fanatic Stubby 105 L. Overall I have to say it is the best FSW I have owned so far. I am focused on the bottom end of its range so I really like that I can put a 6.7 on it. I mostly used it with a 6.7 or a 6.2. I've used it once with a 5.5 and had no problem controlling / enjoying it, but typically by the time it is strong enough for a 5.5 I switch to a 95 L wave board, so the top end isn't something I spend a lot of time thinking about.

What I like most about the board is how well it works in cross onshore waves with a massive sail (6.7). In conditions when most people are working in the garden I'm happily riding waves. :-)